I’m struggling to get my tax return done. It’s been in the diary for ages, but I’ve let (more interesting) things take priority this week.
I want it done so I can take a break in August. I’m normally on it as soon as the new tax year starts — like to do it early, so I know how much I have to pay.
I realise I need to do it before school’s out on July 21st. I’m not as focused with a teenager in the house. The energy is different, and my attention is split between work and domestics.
Also, the heat is making me restless. I want to be outside. Long walks. Runs. Hanging out. Living in Hastings is like being on permanent holiday 🤩 🌊
Time to revisit my systems and processes. Look at what I do every day — personally and professionally, and work out how I can maximise my output with minimal effort.
I want to work on my business and myself in August — reading, travelling, studying, and the bigger picture. Set some goals for September — the new year.
Designing better systems will give me more headspace and freedom to be present in the moment — whether I’m writing an email, talking to a friend or shopping with Julieta. It will also help me see what I can outsource.
It’s a mix of digital and physical:
- Notebook and pen (handwriting activates the brain and boosts creativity)
- Trello boards (to plan, move things around, inspirational backgrounds — a visual reminder of where I want to go next)
- Templates for newsletters, emails, and reports I do regularly
- Calendly — set times for calls with an automated Zoom link
- Batching tasks, e.g., Marketing Monday, Fridays for creative writing and personal projects, checking emails at set times
- Hootsuite for social media scheduling (5 x daily posts on the free version)
- Groove app for 50-minute focus sprints — just 4 of us; I love how intimate this feels. One task at a time. Writing an email, making dinner, sorting the garage — it’s all work
- GrowthDay — the first all-in-one personal development app. Underpins it all. Brendon’s energy is infectious! ( here’s my link)
Listen to an audio version of the article on this episode of The 21st Century Creative podcast, starting at 7'’18.
Learn to Thrive as a Creative Pro: get the FREE 26-week course. It will help you look at your creative career’s bigger picture. Do something new every week to develop your skills.
Happy holidays! See you in September 😎
As always, get in touch if you have something to share, a link suggestion, or just want to say hi 👋